Mutton dressed as lamb..?

There’s a saying that if you are old enough to have worn it the first time around, then you are too old to be wearing it this time around.. But I’m starting to hope think that this can’t possibly be right, now that I am seeing clothes in the shops that I wore the first time around. I’m really not *that* old.. am I? Or is this a slippery slope to me becoming mutton dressed as lamb?

To be fair, I’m only in my early thirties *ahem* and the revival of some of the current trends were being worn by me in my teens.. but this still counts as wearing it the first time around though doesn’t it? Does this mean that when young whippersnappers see me, they will snigger and see me as *gasp* mutton?

The thing is, in my mind, I still feel 17! As I’m sure many of us do! The getting older bit kind of creeps up on you and before you know it, you are in your thirties *sob* I try to kid myself into thinking that 30 is the new 20, 40 is the new 30 etc and that being in your thirties *isn’t* old anymore.. but do I think that because I am now in that age group? I think I probably do. But I do see age as a state of mind and I really don’t want to give up on fashion yet. In fact, Iย have no intentions to!

So does that make it alright for me to wear fashionย the second time around? Is it alright for me to change the rules to suit now that I am getting older? What do you think?

24 thoughts on “Mutton dressed as lamb..?

1. Amber says:

I’m also in my 30s, and really, really struggle with this. The fact that I write about fashion for a living doesn’t help either, because I’m constantly exposed to trends that are really meant for women in their teens or twenties, but looking at them all day, every day makes me start to like them and want to try them too, then I remember my age and wonder if I’ll just look like mutton!

My philosophy now is to just go for it, albeit within reason: I’m guessing my days of wearing micro-skirts are long gone, for instance! But even although I’m not exactly in the first flush of youth, I’ll never be THIS young again, so if I want to wear something, I may as well ty it and see how I feel about it. I also reckon that no matter WHAT I wear, I’ll probably look back and cringe at it someday, because I ALWAYS do, so what the hell! Enjoy fashion while you can ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Very Bored in Catalunya says:

I guess it depends on the item in question, some things should never have been worn first time around let alone again 20 years later. I too am at the clothing dilemma stage, it’s very frustrating, I think if in doubt, cover up as much as you can.

3. Lorna Byrne says:

Great post. I know exactly what you’re saying as I’m in the same predicament. For me, it depends on the garment and how ‘subtle’ it is. I almost bought a tasteful (it was, honestly!) puffball number for wearing with leggings over to a party in England. Only the fact that I found something cheaper prevented me from doing so. However if I see ‘garish’ prints which were worn 1st time round in the 80’s I tend to shy away from them because with my lack of height, they’d swamp me, and this time round I’m old enough to know that I just don’t have the personality to carry it off, but some do, no matter what age they are. I tend to go for more conservative versions of the ‘rehashed’ trends, just because it makes me feel more comfortable to blend into the background a bit, but still try to look as if I am somewhat ‘in touch’ with things. I think above all, one has to feel comfortable, and if you feel comfortable, you’ll have more confidence, and thus will look good. I get what you’re saying about 30 being the new 20. I’ll be 40 in 4 years, but unlike our grandmothers who wore ‘old womens’ clothes very early on, these days we can get away with looking younger ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Vegemitevix says:

I think anything too trendy is risking it. Surely dressing your figure is the way to go. Or is that just wishful thinking. I’m 41 and still feel in my mid thirties. It’s like I got there and stopped getting older.

5. Liz (LivingwithKids) says:

OK as I’ve just interviewed a fashion ‘expert’ on this very topic I would say that yes, if you wore it the first time round, you shouldn’t wear it again. However… if you have a fabulous figure, you don’t look any different to how you looked in your 20s, then what the hey?

6. Susan Mann says:

If you are too old to wear them, then so am I and I am sure I am wearing stuff right now I used to wear when I was at school. However being 32, my mother is 56 and she is wearing the same type of stuff, now that is mutton dressed as lamb ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

• yummymummyno1 says:

Are you sure we weren’t seperated at birth.. not only are we the same age – our crazy mothers are too! Spooky! And yes, they are definitely mutton! Teeheee! ; ) xx

7. 21stcenturymum says:

I’m in my mid-30’s (not sure how much longer I can say that!), and up until recently I have always felt like I was 20. However since having my daughter I have begun to feel quite old and often wonder if I, as a mummy, and at my age, should wear certain things, follow fashion trends or shop in Top Shop etc. Then I look at my step-mother, who is 50, and a very glam yummy mummy. She wears leggings, short skirts etc, but looks fab, not a hint of mutton in site. If only I could look like her.

I still have a tiny top that I wore when I lived in Australia in my mid-20s and used to go out clubbing dressed in not much. It worked with a tan and fab figure :). I can’t even fit it over my head now!

So, my point is, I think it’s okay to be trendy, and wear fashion a second time around, within reason ie no leopard print lycra mini skirts or neon tops ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Crystal Jigsaw says:

It’s funny I should read your blog today because I was thinking recently about my sister. She’s 34 now and is slim, trendy and unafraid to show off her lovely figure. I couldn’t ever imagine her being old and old fashioned, like me!

CJ xx

9. bumbling says:

Unfortunately I think I am too old. Well, perhaps just too, ahem, cuddly! I’m definitely not a big fan of some of the 80s stuff which is back in the shops – I might have rocked a body (*cough*) when I was 17, but the love handles won’t cope with that now!

But I think if you have the confidence, and you dress for what suits you, not just fashion, you can pull anything off!

10. Emily O says:

Seeing bodies back in the shops shocked me, I even wrote a post about the evil fashion. I’m wearing leggings again like I did when I was 17. But this time I’m wearing long tops and skirts over them and no Doc Marten boots. I think you can get away with wearing some things again but you do have to watch it a bit so people don’t openly laugh at you.

11. elle says:

I am far older than all of you (46) and I must be the most muttony mutton of them all. LOL. I love keeping up with fashion and I assumed it’s for everyone for the most part. Specifically if I find it in the misses department or at Chadwicks. Anyway, the best way to gauge if you will look muttony is your face, neck hands and body. If those are truly far gone and that stereotypic middle age look has set in on you then it’s time to face the music and dress older. You can no longer “sell” the look.

Or to put it more directly if you look young from behind and turn around and people gasp – that’s when you know you’re mutton. LOL. Otherwise, wear what you like that flatters and doesn’t look desperate and trashy.

I think the muttony problem has more to do with being a fashion victim – being too garish and loud plus not wearing body-appropriate styles. It’s important to know what silhouettes look best on you and to pick and choose the trends.

Leopard print is in this year and I would love, love, love some leopard print flats as a fun addition to my wardrobe. Would I also get a bag to match and a coat? Hell no. I think you get my drift. Pick and choose.

• (mostly) yummy mummy says:

Hehe! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your comment!
      I have to confess that I have ordered some leopard print pumps, blazer and bag from Boden.. I can’t resist a bit of leopard print! But I shall heed your advice and not wear them all at the same time ๐Ÿ˜‰

12. Sinead says:

Hi I am also 32, but for me, I was very anti-fashion trends when I was a teenager. I refused to follow them. So I always wore jeans & tops. I was also extreamely skinny, so I didn’t think much suited me. (does this exclude me from the ‘if i wore it the first time’ theme!!…lol)

I’m still kinda anti-trends. I’m also more ‘curvey’ now, due to having two kids. However, I prefer the way things look on me now. Don’t get me wrong, I could do with losing a bit, but I don’t care. I’ve been told I have good legs & dam it, I didn’t show them off when I was younger, so I may as well now!!..lol

My point is, if you feel good, and within reason wear what exentuates your curves/legs…i.e. ‘good bits’, and you look good, then why not!!….Age is just a number!!

I have more dresses in my wardrobe now than I ever had in my life. Besides variety is the spice of life. It doesn’t all have to be short skirts & low tops. Long dresses or tops with leggings can be just as sexy as any and not tacky, with some nice heels.