So what were the tools of my youth? When I was in my late teens in the early nineties, I managed to have a ball of a time all whilst juggling my A-levels, doing a part-time waitressing job and looking fabulous on barely any sleep. How did I do it?!
These were the main tools of my youth:
- My wardrobe pretty much consisted of a daytime look of Benetton jumpers with mens Levi 501s and by night I was dressed in the tiniest micro minis I could find from Miss Selfridge. My favourite dress was a backless silver number that I wore with over-the-knee socks (classy!) Needless to say, I often used to get dressed at my friend’s house to avoid the whole ‘You’re not going out dressed like that young lady’ speech from my mother!
- By my late teens I had moved on from Lou Lou perfume to Jean Paul Gaultier – I was very sophisticated you know! It is actually a really nice perfume but I can’t wear it these days – the smell just reminds me of being seventeen again (but not in a good way!) My friend and I used to drown ourselves in the stuff and it’s a strong scent so you must have been able to smell us a mile off!
- I was studying (but probably not hard enough to be fair) three A-levels in Sixth Form and I also worked any shift going as a waitress in our local restaurant but also found the time to go out most nights. I don’t know how I had the time, money or energy!
- I used to dry my hair upside down using a diffuser to create big hair a la Cindy Crawford (She was my idol, I really was supermodel obsessed)
- I used to highlight my own hair using Sun-In or the juice from a dozen lemons (Again, a la Cindy Crawford..)
- My bag was the size of a purse but tardis enough like to contain money, house keys, my Revlon ColorStay lipstick in pillar box red (another nod to Cindy Crawford there), 20 fags (with enough smoked so that I could fit my lighter in the packet), my half fare bus pass and my fake ID (bit of a conflict of interest there – needed to pay half on the bus but when arriving at the drinking hole of my choice would have the fake ID so I could get let in!)
- My drink of choice would be a Blastaway (Castaway mixed with Diamond White – urgh!) But to be honest, I was never that fussy and would drink just about anything and had such a refined palette that I could distinguish between types of beer! (A skill that hasn’t stayed with me I have to say.)
- I used to drag my drunken self to bed with a 2litre bottle of fat coke, which would have been all gone by the morning and this was supposedly my hangover preventer.
- Breakfast would consist of Pro-Plus and a can of Perrier while dashing out of the door late and the rest of my diet would be mainly Pot Noodles, Pepperamis and Nutella by the jar. But I was still a tiny size 8 – how’s that even possible?
So there you have the tools of my youth. What were yours? I do wonder if it was these tools or if it was in fact just youth alone that enabled me to have limitless energy on no sleep whilst still looking so good..? *sigh*