The one where I panic because I haven’t got a pencil sharpener

Well, we are almost ‘back to school’ and is it just me or has this holiday absolutely flown by?! But now panic sets in.

Me, being so organised *cough* I now hit that point where I start to panic about what I have forgotten ready for the children returning to school. And then the panic of being able to get everything in time. Every year I swear I will be more organised but every year seems to pass in a blur of me being totally unorganised and I am constantly caught on the hop. And just to add to my panic, three of my brood of four will be in full-time school come September!

My excuse is that having four children makes for quite a hectic life but truthfully, I’m just not that organised! Life would probably be a lot easier if I could be though so on the recommendation of a lovely Twitter friend, I have bought myself an Organised Mum Life Book. It has stickers for the hairdressers and everything! And although it is still in its envelope somewhere, I do intend to be organised come September. Well, as organised as I can be *cough*

I know I can’t be the only one to forget to take back library books, make that dentist appointment, bring cakes in for the PTA but sometimes it feels like I am surrounded by uber-organised-mummies in the playground which just makes me look even worse! I just don’t know how they do it to be honest. But saying that, with my eleven year old going up to High School, and my four year old just starting out in Primary School, I will actually be with a whole new cohort come September, so maybe there is hope for me yet 😉

So come on you lovely lot, how do you do it? How do you get organised? All tips will be very greatly received, honestly!

9 thoughts on “The one where I panic because I haven’t got a pencil sharpener

1. Susan Mann says:

I can say easy for me just now as I only have one going to nursery so it’s just his bag with a change of shoes and clothes he needs. But next year he will start school at just 4 1/2 so I will need to be more prepared. I think it is different working as the school holidays don’t mean the same to me as they do when your at home with them over the holidays plus with mine not being at school as such it’s not much different. I’m sure I’m in for a shock however. Good luck twinny xx

2. icklebabe says:

I cant offer any advise as I promise you I am worse…my last library fine was over 20 quid!
    I think its something you get taught when your a little girl, like tying your shoes. Being as my mum used to forget our names as kids, clearly she couldn’t share the knowledge! But if you do find the secret, please let me know ;D

3. Whimsical Wife says:

I cannot claim to be remotely organised… my last library visit ended with the threat of courts summons…
    My advice either stand in the playground alone or find some *really* inefficient fools to stand with… there is always someone worse than yourself – in my case I do quite often have to look hard!

4. Kate says:

I read everything that comes home from school (assuming I get it – I don’t always) and write as much as possible on the calendar. I got caught out once – there was a slip in Monkey’s book bag saying come in at 3.10 tomorrow but that night, I didn’t pick him up and never checked his bag. Someone else suggested I tip out their bags every night after school and that is exactly what I am going to do from the start of term.

5. jfb57 says:

My diary is the key to it all. Even when I was HT I would tell the teachers that if it isn’t in the diary it doesn’t happen! Same at home – just needed to remember to put it in! #diaryfail

6. Marylin says:

Oh god, don’t ask me, my laundry pile is taking over one side of my bedroom and I barely manage to figure out getting some sort of food on the table for the kids every night, nevermind myself! I got everything sorted for Zack for school about 4 days before he was due to start…
    I think some people are just born organised, it’s the way they’re wired. I wish I was… *sigh*

7. keatsbabe says:

I think school playgrounds always seem full of uber-mummies who seem to knock up a costume for a school play overnight, or remember cake sales or non-school uniform die your hair red days in plenty of time. However, I believe we are very much in the majority being just a tad (!) disorganised. Perhaps the organised ones are just pretending…..