Here are my top ten survival tips for camping (mostly) yummy mummy style…
1. I refuse to sleep in a sleeping bag. I’m sure that there must be terribly practical reasons to have one but the thought of being zipped into some man-made fibre caterpillar suit really does not appeal. I take our duvet. And my beloved Cath Kidston quilted throw too as it is always at least a hundred times colder than you expect it to be. Hmmm, maybe you do need a sleeping bag…?
2. I don’t own a single item of clothing in fleece and I’m not about to. Fact. Nor do I own trousers with far too many pockets. Fact. My usual uniform of a maxi dress and gladiators make for perfect camping attire.
3. Same applies to sensible walking shoes *shudder* I sometimes wear my Birkenstocks which although not too pretty, I have to confess that they are comfortable. This is as sensible as I get though.
4. Take your own mirror. Trying to do your make-up in your compact mirror is almost impossible and trust me, fighting for the mirror in the morning in the shower block with grown women who wear Winnie the Pooh pyjamas (and yes, those women DO exist) is never going to be an option. Plus putting your face on in public just seems so intrusive some how and makes you feel incredibly vain *cough*
5. Go to the salon the day before your trip to give your hair the blow drying of its life. You’ll be the glossiest girl on the camp *swish* And be sure to pack your dry shampo. Such a life saver! What did we do before dry shampoo? Oh yes, wash our hair *cough*
6. Get yourself a kettle that plugs into the car – such a genius little invention! This means you can also pack the cafetière for your morning coffee fix and rustle up some couscous to go with the burnt offerings from your darling Other Half’s playing at barbecue chef. Win win!
7. Let your Other Half loose at the barbecue. Yes, there is a danger of things being a little on the charred side but isn’t that half the fun? And men do like the whole playing with fire malarkey and of course, it means you are off cooking duty for the trip!
8. Enlist the help of small people when it comes to washing-up duties. My pampered brood has never known life without a dishwasher and the whole thing is such a novelty that they actually argue about who is going to do it meaning that you get out of the chore of doing it and of course don’t put your manicure at risk.
9. Best discovery ever has to be Pimm’s in a can! Granted, it might not be quite the same as a pitcher full of ice and all the trimmings, but Pimm’s is Pimm’s right? So handy! But obviously better than that would be to book a campsite near a lovely village pub.
10. Book yourself a fabulous villa holiday for your return. After any length of time under canvas in no doubt a very soggy field you will be in need of a real holiday. And my goodness you have earned it. Plus, the promise of being sprawled out by the pool somewhere fabulous and hot will be the just the ticket to get you through the
horrors pleasure of camping.
So there you go – my (mostly) yummy mummy guide to camping! You see, I do love camping and being at one with nature blah blah blah, but I don’t really do roughing it! Did you really expect anything less from me?Photo credit: Flickr – Camping Sindy & Sindy getting the BBQ going