This is one of our family favourites and I couldn’t resist sharing this recipe again and entering it into my lovely chum The Reluctant Housedad’s #RecipeShed this week.
Here’s the recipe for my delicious Chorizo and Red Pepper Risotto.
225g chorizo (approx – obviously dependant on the size of the sausage – ooo er!)
1 red pepper (deseeded and cubed)
1 onion (finely chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
300g arborio risotto rice
1 litre hot chicken stock (approx)
olive oil (about 1 tbsp – for frying)
handful of fresh parsley (chopped)
salt and pepper to season
- Gently fry the onion, garlic and red pepper until soft in olive oil in a large pan until soft.
- Slice the chorizo then add to the pan and fry gently until all the gorgeous oils are released.
- Next add the rice. I love arborio rice for risotto as it cooks to such a soft and creamy consistency while retaining some bite. Stir in so that it is coated in the lovely oils but just for a couple of minutes and you need to stir continuously so it doesn’t stick.
- Then you need to add the stock a little at a time, I usually do it a ladle at a time. I use Kallo Organic stock cubes as they come in a super child friendly low salt variety but of course if you have your own homemade stock – then all the better! Keep adding more stock as the rice absorbs the liquid, and usually after about 20 minutes and a litre of stock – it will be cooked to perfection and be creamy yet firm.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan (and we usually have ours with a lovely green side salad and piles of garlic bread because we are greedy guts!)
There you have it!