It just wouldn’t be Christmas without..

I wouldn’t dream of buying a television guide at any other time of the year. But Christmas just isn’t Christmas without a copy of the Radio Times. Fact.

Back in the olden days when I was growing up we only had four channels and didn’t even have a video recorder until I was in my teens. You also had to buy the Radio Times for the BBC channels (all two of them) and the TV Times for ITV and Channel 4. My big sister and I would have a different coloured highlighter each and we would go through them marking what we wanted to watch when. Of course, any clashes in our viewing plans couldn’t be remedied by Sky+, we didn’t even have a remote control let alone fancypants digital recording facilities. Oh no. We would normally (literally) fight it out until my Mother broke it up.

I don’t remember when the Radio Times started to list all of the television channels and not just the BBC channels but I know that for years and years my Mother still used to buy both the Radio Times and TV Times. In fact I think she still does. Bonkers really. But only as bonkers as the fact that I still buy the Radio Times myself now of course.Β With the TV guide only a click of a button away now and the old highlighter pen being replaced by the Sky+ planner, I definitely don’t need the Radio Times. But I’m not sure I could imagine a Christmas without it. How about you?

19 thoughts on “It just wouldn’t be Christmas without..

1. itsamumsworld says:

I loved the Radio Times, especially the way the Christmas Day pages looked so pretty! For years I used to think the word ‘radio’ meant ‘the last’ because the final page of each days listing was the radio page, and I knew it was the last page for that day. I discovered the truth when I was trying to be clever in a story at primary school and made the Mum tell her child this was their ‘radio’ chance! I kid you not and it’s all the fault of the Radio Times! Merry Christmas!

2. BNM says:

I bought one on Wednesday and feel a lot more in the festive mood since. Have had a small flick through and especially looking forward to doing the festive tv competition with OH and some wine!

BNM

3. PhotoPuddle says:

I am old too! I remember having to get the Radio and the TV times to find out what was on telly. I don’t buy the Radio Times during the rest of the year (I get my TV listings from *cough* Heat magazine *cough*) but I do love the festive Radio Times. In fact I have a problem. Hubby went out and bought the What’s On TV Christmas TV guide but I really like the Radio Times. It would be really daft of me to get both now wouldn’t it?

4. Four Go Mad says:

Haha, I love this post, particuarly as I could have written this myself! As I started reading I thought “yeah but I bet she never went through it with a highlighter”….
    We have the green version because I thought it looked nicer.
    The first thing I always do as soon as i pick up the christmas edition is turn to Christmas Day & check out the movie on BBC v’s ITV

Yup. Always check out the big movie. Although I have to say that the most exciting thing on this year has to be The Gruffalo’s Child! Never mind the children, I can’t wait to see it πŸ˜‰

5. Him Up North says:

Christmas Radiotomies is a tradition in our house too. And it wouldn’t be the Christmas edition without a big holiday adverts bit in the middle… πŸ™‚

6. Mrs TeePot says:

I’m exactly the same! I just love getting my highlighters and going through the Radio Times and marking out what I want to watch over the season!