The Small Things

It is the small things that make me smile.

Like reading a blog post about the small things that make Mummy Limited smile, and feeling the need to join in.

Like being served by my favourite barista in Caffe Nero who doesn’t even have to ask what I would like. Then to find that my favourite squishy leather seat by the window is free. Only to find an accidental love heart (or Pacman) in my latte.

The anticipation of going to bed to clean crisp new sheets. The cold side of the pillow. And being woken up by a big lump of a ginger tomcat purring in your ear. The windows wide open, the breeze filling the whole of the house. The sound of the church bells on Sunday mornings. Poached eggs on toast made to perfection by my Other Half. Realising that you haven’t finished that cup of tea after all. And of course tea in my favourite cup.

Like turning the page of a new book. Not being able to put that book down but never wanting to finish it either. Falling head over heels in love with a character. Then mourning the end of a book. The smell of a glossy magazine. Clinique Bonus Time. Leopard print ballet flats. Walnut Whips. The remote control all to myself. And unexpected emails that make me smile from ear to ear.

Dandelion and burdock that tastes like my childhood in a glass. Saying good morning to the old man who I pass on the school run. Holding hands. Droopy tulips and windowsills full of daffodils. And apples so tart that they make you pull a face.

Like that first camping trip of the year. The sound of the zip of the tent door. The sun on your back, the grass between your toes. Oh and the feeling of sand between your toes for the first time that year. And falling to sleep listening to the gentle lapping of the sea. The the occasion baa of a sheep.

Every day may not be good. But I do believe that there is something good in every day. Sometimes you just have to remember the small things.

What small things make you smile?

16 thoughts on “The Small Things

1. chutneyandspice.com says:

What a lovely post. So…the memory of summers past in the first rays of springs sunshine…the smile from my first born when I pick her up from school and I feel complete again…the cuddles from my second born, a little squirrel monkey on my hip….those special moments with my husband when I remember why we first fell in love….times with my girlfriends, talking talking talking….breathing in the fresh air of our village and the scent of clean washing on the line…moments with my mum, so precious…. cooking food that makes us all feel good….my favourite chocolate brownie treats…..getting in to bed at the end of a long day, tired but happy….picking up a new book and smelling the fresh new bookness of it….reading lovely blogs that make me feel connected, like this one!

2. mummylawyer says:

That there’s something good in every day even if it’s not a good day is the best bit of advice I’ve seen in a long time! Thank you.

I love the sun shining, no matter how cold it is; tea in my mothers’ day mug, my children smiling at me, discovering something’s empty but we have another, hot bath on a cold day and hearing a song you love that you haven’t heard for ages – you just want to get up and dance.

3. Rachel says:

Lovely post – and yes, it’s the simple things in life that give pleasure. Mine (in no particular order): vanilla lattes, the smell of fresh basil, my three year old telling me she loves me (unprompted), earl grey tea in a china cup, those snuffly noises that a newborn makes, fish pie on a cold winters day, birds singing, the sound of the sea, salty chips on holiday, my one-year old son sucking his thumb, barbecues with friends, pretty summer dresses, new underwear, fresh bread…..and the best feeling of all – watching my children and husband together and thinking how lucky I am!

4. lucy says:

watching old home videos, my brother was back, just for the weekend, from America in February and we watched a few hours of old sports days, 5th birthday parties and first nativity plays. I hadn’t appreciated how hilarious it must have been for all the parents watching the human chain event with 200 children all dressed in white climbing over each other holding each others feet with your arms stretched out!

5. MargotBarbara says:

What a lovely post. I completely agree. There are so many small things I cherish, and they all help make every day life something special, even when it sometimes feels like not a lot really happens…

6. Josie says:

I’m sure I read somewhere that true happiness is found in the appreciation of small things. The smell of freshly washed laundry does it for me every time.

7. Monika MumontheBrink (@mumonthebrink) says:

Oh how easy it is to forget these simple pleasures in life! If only there was a way to bring these thoughts automatically to the forefront of our mind when we are feeling down in the doldrums. Even better, imagine if there was a way to bottle this, then we would rid the world of antidepressants.
    Thank you for the post and making me smile, reminding me of the pleasure of the small things.

8. theperfectbadmummy says:

This is such a sunny post! Thank you! Cheers me up while I’m indoors, erm. *cough* working *cough*