New (old) front (side) door

I spoke here about finally having the urge to tackle all of those little niggly jobs around the house that I’ve been putting off.

Anyway, one of these little tasks was to paint the front door of the house. Well, technically, it is actually the side door because I live in a higgledy piggledy shaped house that doesn’t have a front door. But the door we had was a boring old mahogany thing that was here when we moved in. We actually looked at replacing it at one point but it turned out that it wasn’t a standard size which meant that a replacement would have to be bespoke and so consequently, a little on the expensive side. Why do these things always have to be so complicated? So we decided that maybe the fully functioning and perfectly boring mahogany door wasn’t so bad after all.

So after years of putting up with it, I thought I might have a go at painting it. The mahogany really wasn’t doing it for me and how hard could it be to paint a door? When we had our kitchen fitted about eighteen months ago, I found the perfect colour paint for the door when I was actually supposed to be looking for the perfect pink for my kitchen. Always the way, isn’t it? I kept meaning to paint the door but never quite got around to it so the tin of paint has been sat in the shed for all this time.

So anyway, over the course of a couple of Sundays, I finally did it! The paint colour is called something stupid like ‘muted olive’ but in northern terms, it is a chalky kind of greyish green sludge. And despite this description, it looks gorgeous!

Our house is made from Yorkshire stone and the colour really compliments it. I did the inside too and the difference it has made to the hall is just amazing! We don’t have a window in the hall, I guess the estate agent speak for it would be a vestibule. It’s basically a snake like corridor with lots of doors then the stairs leading off from it. The door has a small window in it but I hadn’t realised just how much the mahogany colour was sucking all the life from the hall. It feels like somebody has turned the light on in there. Now I just need to replace the number plate and letter box as they have seen better days but the door itself is just perfect. Love it! I’m just kicking myself for not doing it sooner!

*I actually came across this blog post this morning. It was sat in my draft folder just waiting to be published from weeks ago. Before nothing but everything changed. Nesting has been the last thing on my mind for these last few weeks but coming across this made me think that maybe it’s time to crack on with those jobs again. Maybe it’s time that I try and get that spring back in my step. And bore you all with my before and after pictures on my blog of course. You’re welcome.

20 thoughts on “New (old) front (side) door

1. Ali says:

We re-painted our front and side doors last year and really made a huge difference. I have become a huge fan of a paint brush, have just transformed my house to sell now, which kind of isn’t them same really but…

Still I am looking forward to getting the brushes out when we set off to our new home 🙂
    Glad your getting that spring back into your step x

2. TheMadHouse says:

I love the colour. I have a white door and garage and want to paint it, but an still looking for that perfect colour. Some one has painted theirs a cloudy grey green and I don’t like it. perhaps your grey blue is the way to go.

I have been thinking of you and no one (except perhaps yourself) expects you to pick up and carry on as though nothing has changed.

I love all of these muted colours that are around. I can’t believe what a difference it has made!
      And thank you for your kind words. They actually struck home more than you might realise xx

3. glamorous glutton says:

We changed our door recently but not until we’d lived with a very ugly one for five years. I spent more money than is sensible on fabulous door knocker and letter plate. The door also has a window unlike the old one and we too now have a light airy space instead of entering a cave. Those little niggly jobs are do take a lot of motivation to get done but are soo rewarding. GG

4. HonestMum.com says:

Looks beautiful. I have always dreamt of a pink door but husband vetoed it. When we get a new place I’m going for it! Incidentally I once found myself at Holly W’s place (her old place) and she had a pink door. Still isn’t swaying husband….

5. dulwichdivorcee says:

Gorgeous colour – in fact it’s just like our front door! It’s a Farrow and Ball but I can’t remember the name, very similar greeny-greige though 🙂

6. Somethingblue_2 says:

I love it! It’s beautiful . . . can a door be beautiful? I would never have thought so but you’ve changed my mind! A yummy door for a yummy mummy 😉 And big hugs . . . just because xx