Monthly beauty boxes. What say you?

In a previous life, I would spend hours poring over magazines then even longer testing out samples in the beauty halls. But I have long given up on finding the time to devour glossy magazines and my trips to the beauty halls are much more grab and run these days as I nearly always have children in tow. So when I first came across the whole monthly beauty box subscription thing last year, I thought it was perfect. It would give me just the beauty fix that my life was lacking.

I tried out the Glossybox first and like most of these things, for around £10 a month you get sent a box of five sample products. I had a couple of cracking boxes at first and I was completely sold on the concept. Loved it. But then there were a couple of not so cracking boxes. It’s just one of those things I guess. Not everything can be to everyone’s taste of course but I loved the concept so much that I didn’t want to give up my monthly treat. Plus I used to kid myself that if I cancelled, the next one would be amazing and I didn’t want to miss out! I was well and truly hooked. But then a friend recommended Joliebox instead so I tried that for the first time this month and I have to say that my first box was amazing! I loved every single thing in there so I have cancelled my Glossybox for now and am going to give Joliebox a try and see how I get on. Fickle? Moi? Maybe. But the fact that you can join up and cancel with a click of a button makes it so easy to be fickle. That in itself is actually another bonus to the whole beauty box concept.

I can’t help but think that as much as I love the idea though, all of these things will have a saturation point. I’m lucky in that I have my eldest daughter to offload unwanted lipglosses and the like to (I think I must be the only girl alive to loathe lipgloss but I’m sorry but it isn’t the slightest bit snog friendly. What’s the use in that?) I think there will come a point when I have beauty samples coming out of my ears and enough will be enough though and I’ll cancel altogether. But I’m sure that I would soon miss my monthly gift to myself and sign up all over again! Ha!

I didn’t want to bore you and turn this into a big old review post, I think there are enough of those doing the rounds in the blogosphere already. But I did want to share with you five things that I am using right now that I love from some of my boxes. So here goes:

Ojon Hair Serum. Oh my word this is beyond amazing. Believe the hype. My hair has never been so super glossy and soft. You only need a couple of teeny drops so I can see this bottle lasting forever.

Clarins Extra Firming Body Cream. Is it really extra firming? Well, I’m not entirely sure but it is a fabulously rich body lotion. I’m not usually keen on Clarins products as they tend to be too highly fragranced for me but I actually liked this a lot.

Pure Fiji Nourishing Exotic Oil. Don’t be put off by the not very pretty packaging or indeed the slightly dodgy sounding name. This is an absolute gem. You can use it as a lotion, in the bath or even on your hair (although I haven’t tried it in my hair myself) and it is unbelievably moisturising and best of all, smells of holidays.

Stila Eyeliner. It’s in a sludgy green colour with a hint of sparkle that I would never have picked for myself in a million years but I love it. I think another beauty of these boxes is trying out things that you maybe wouldn’t normally consider.

Dirty Works All of a Lather Body Wash. A bit of a mouthful of a name but it really does what it says on the very pretty packaging. A really lovely everyday body wash.

So what do you think of the whole beauty box thing? Have you tried them too? Or am I a complete sucker for paying out good money for a box of beauty samples every month..?

21 thoughts on “Monthly beauty boxes. What say you?

1. glosswitch says:

I have actually asked for a Glossybox subscription for my birthday. Still fighting the good feminist fight, me! I didn’t know there were others, though. Need to to more research – thanks for the tip-off!

I think we can still fight the good feminist fight while looking fabulous, right..? But yes, definitely worth a little research as there are lots of companies offering the same sort of thing.

2. MargotBarbara says:

Ooh, interesting post! I had Glossybox for three months and then gave it up. To be honest, the thrill had worn off. I used most of the things I was sent ( and, like you, adored the Ojon oil) but there were a few things that I’d never use (stick on nails) and also my skin doesn’t take kindly to me putting lots of different stuff on it all the time. So, I’ve given it up and will return to my favourite hobby of loitering in Space NK, playing with the samples. I’ve not entirely given up getting a home delivered treat though – these days I get ‘Not Another Bill’ instead and it’s fabulous 🙂

I have to say that I think it is only natural that the thrill of these things will wear off at some point. I’ve not heard of ‘Not Another Bill’? I will have to investigate….. 🙂

3. theperfectbadmummy says:

I enjoyed my Glossybox but cancelled…I’ve decided not to opt for another one. Whilst I loved the treat, I realised I still love trying out new products my self, and still would rather treat myself to an item from the Benefit counter rather then another lip gloss (which I also HATE HATE HATE).

X

I have to say that I didn’t like this months Glossybox at all so you are not on your own in that one! Maybe worth seeing if next months is any better for you? I have to say that over the months, I have had some really good ones. You’ll have to let me know 🙂

4. melanie molloy says:

expecting baby number two in 6 weeks and your post caught my eye instantly, whats not to love about a monthly box of treats when you are too distracted to purchase it all yourself-excellent idea! will be checking out jb on your reccommendation! x

I think it is absolutely perfect for time poor mummies. It’s such a lovely treat to get a box of goodies in the post and I know for me at least, it is essential to cling on to a tiny bit of pamper time. Oh and good luck with baby number two! How exciting 🙂

Yes! My hair always sticks to lip gloss too – horrible stuff! Oooh, is there such a thing as a tea box? Now that would be worth investigating! I know Montezuma’s do a monthly chocolate club. Now that I love!

5. Mandy says:

Wow! I never knew these kind of subscriptions existed! I Love trying new things and can spend hours browsing all the counters, sampling out different products and comparing the results! I will definitely consider subscribing to ‘Joliebox’!

Oh the Ojon serum is just bloody gorgeous, isn’t it? Now that I will use forever more! I was like you in that I loved my Glossybox to start with but there really have been one too many so so boxes of late. I don’t know, maybe I’ll say the same about Joliebox a couple of months down the line but I loved the concept so much that I figured it was worth a try at least.

6. (Mostly) Yummy Mummy says:

I think it is definitely a case of horses for courses. So many people have loved the latest Glossybox but I have to say that I wasn’t keen at all, hence the decision that it was definitely time to give Joliebox a try instead. You should still write your post though – I’d actually be really interested to hear what you think too! x