Time to be me

This time last week, I was heading home after the most amazing time in London. I have attempted to write this post over and over this week and kept ditching it as somehow the words just wouldn’t flow. I guess I was feeling guilty about not feeling guilty. Somewhere along the line it has been (wrongly) ingrained into me that maybe I shouldn’t enjoy my (very rare) child free time quite as much as I do. Or at least not say it out loud. But do you know what? I actually love my own company. Probably because it is such a rare occurrence.

I think this weekend will stay with me for a very long time. Cybher itself was such an incredible day and being surrounded by so many amazing and totally inspiring women left me with itching blogging fingers. In a good way. I fell in love with my little corner of the blogosphere all over again. Blogging has brought me many things and this weekend made me realise just what it means to me. It has enabled me to find a confidence that I thought was lost forever and reignited a love for writing.

But most of all, it has led me to make the most incredible friends and for that I will always be so very grateful. After looking forward to it and talking about it for oh so long, finally being able to squish down into a leather sofa together and put the world to rights is just the best. (Laughing over vino and trying to figure out what the hell the people on the next table are talking about is quite fun too) But best of all, having a friend who truly believes in you can make you feel like you can take on the world. One of those friends who has a way of knowing just what to say. And they make you start to believe that maybe just maybe that long standing joke of them being first in line at your book signing isn’t impossible after all.

On Sunday morning, I was awake at silly o’clock. I think my children have broken me forever as I seem to have lost the ability to be able to sleep in these days. Even a pile of unread magazines, the tv remote to myself and room service just a call away wasn’t enough to tempt me to just laze there in bed. (A former me from a former life wouldn’t recognise me these days I swear) So anyway, I made the most of it and took myself off for a wander. It was absolute bliss. Strolling around London, coffee in hand. Time to take it all in without having to stop to do a head count. Alone with my thoughts and time to breath. And London you were truly beautiful that morning. In fact, just the tonic that this blogger needed.

I loved having time to be just me. Time to enjoy the company of wonderful friends. And hopefully time to draw a line under all that has happened this year and try to find the strength to move forward somehow. Something that I didn’t think would ever be possible.

24 thoughts on “Time to be me

1. Jenn says:

Glad you had time to enjoy yourself. I know I don’t take enough time to just be, at least lately, and I need to do it more often.

2. Corrine x says:

Never feel guilty for taking me time – we all need to step back every now and then and remember who we are!!

3. notsupermum says:

Sounds great. In fact, I’ve been so impressed with all of the tweets and reactions to Cybher (which I couldn’t go to) that I’ve already taken the plunge and bought my ticket for next year! See you there 🙂

4. Gem says:

I think it is difficult sometimes to grab that piece of me time, but oh so rewarding, for all involved, it benefits everyone if you’re happy and relaxed so guilt shouldn’t be involved, I am planning a London weekend in July so I am grabbing it with both hands 🙂

5. PhotoPuddle says:

Great post. I need to find more time for me and by that I mean just me and my own company. I do quite often have nights out with friends etc but never much time completely on my own and I do like my own company. My husband is always saying he wouldn’t mind if I had a day to myself but I just feel guilty.

6. Hannah says:

I love this, it has made me look forward to my up coming trip to London so much more. It’s nice to know I’m not alone with the quilty pangs. Thank you!

7. mutteringsofafool says:

Nothing wrong with wanting time to yourself, in fact I think it’s pretty healthy for parents to have an interest/hobby that doesn’t involve children.

8. HonestMum.com says:

What a wonderful post-time to just be alone, rethink and work out future goals is a joy isn’t it. Glad you had a great time at Cyber.

9. Melaina25 says:

Finding time for you and to be you is so important! I’m just sad I didn’t find the time to join you in your me time! If you don’t physically grab me in June we’ll be having words 🙂

xoxoxox

10. Helloitsgemma says:

Is this the woman who wrote a post last year about being really nervous about travelling to London? Here you are coffee in hand wandering around the big smoke. Londons own SJP these days! A woman totally at home.
    Guilt – so over rated! You deserve time out.
    Sorry think we only briefly got to say hello. So glad you had a good time.

Ha! Can you believe that I am the same woman? I can hardly believe it myself! This last year has not only seen my confidence soar but I have also fallen completely in love with that there London and I’m literally counting the days until I’m back again next month 🙂

11. suzanne says:

Sounds divine! I think we are doing our families a favour sometimes when we take some ‘me time’ and relax a little. They learn to appreciate us more too!