The simplest of simple pleasures

A long soak in the bath.

Surely the simplest of simple pleasures? I’m not sure when I became quite so low maintenance.

But sometimes the only thing that gets me through the day is the thought of sinking into that steaming hot bath at the end of it. Of course getting the temperature just right is no easy feat. It has to be hot enough to make you wince a little as you get in but not so hot that you faint as you get out. There’s definitely a skill to it.

I love my bath. It is a thing of beauty. It’s a huge white roll top slipper bath with big claw and ball feet. The Mr hates it of course. He thinks it’s too big for our average sized bathroom. He also thinks it’s completely out of place to have something so traditional in a modern house and would swap it for something sleek and practical in an instant if I let him. But I love it. And I love the people who lived here before us for putting it in!

I can while away far too much time in the bath. Sometimes I don’t even wait until the children are in bed because I just can’t wait to get in. This often comes at a price though. (The price being that of being held captive by a small person who will come in to keep you company and proceed to interrogate you for the next hour. Cute, yes. Relaxing, not so much.) But the Mr never ever questions how many hours I disappear for. I don’t think he’d dare but I do love him for that all the same.

I just love the pamper time. I love trying out new lotions and potions. And I guess there is comfort from in the ritual of it all. Most of all, I love the time it gives me to think. Or not think at all. Sometimes I think of whole new twists and turns for what will one day be my best selling novel. Sometimes I just lay there completely empty of thought. Or sometimes I really live on the edge and take my iPhone in with me for some naked tweeting. Rock. And. Roll.

And then of course there is the question of just when to get out. As much as I hate to drag myself out, I don’t much like turning into a prune either. Or even worse, if you stay in for so long that the water actually goes cold. Brrr. It’s a fine art. But I don’t mind practising until I get it just right.

What are you loving this week? What is your simplest of simple pleasures..?

9 thoughts on “The simplest of simple pleasures

1. MargotBarbara says:

Lovely post – and I agree with you so much! My baths are usually less than relaxing than I’d like because small children mysteriously need to use the loo whenever I step into the bath. If we ever move, I’m looking for a house with two bathrooms!

I’m too scared to take my phone in – but a really great novel, one that can transport me instantly to another place (currently The Art of Fielding, which I really recommend) is my simplest of pleasures, whether soaking in the bath, or on dry land 🙂

2. Anya from Older Sinlge Mum says:

I am loving doing nothing – similar to yours I suppose!. Just sitting on the beach while my boys play together properly on it with out me for the first time, as the youngest is only three. It’s the first chance I’ve had to breathe since before I was pregnant! Here’s to practise indeed X

3. Susan Mann (@susankmann) says:

You make the bath sound so lovely. I have to say I’m not a fan of a bath. I think if I could master the art of reading the in bath without the book getting soaking them maybe. I just find it either too warm or too cold. I’m much more of a shower girl and sitting or lying on bed reading a good book. x

4. Very Proud Mummy of Two says:

Reading your bath blog reminded me of the children’s book “Five Minutes’ Peace” by Jill Murphy. My little’uns are older now but they would always find a reason to come and chat to me. My simple pleasure nowadays is a glass of wine out in the garden, watching the sun set (weather permitting, of course!)

5. Tina Robson says:

Yeah, I mainly shower, its quick. If I had a bath, I’d get to smalls bashing the door down to keep me company and I end up having to get out.

Once it’s all gone quiet upstairs, I look forward to my can of coca-cola and a few squares of chocolate in the evening. That’s my simplest of pleasures x

6. chezmummyLaura @ Chez Mummy says:

I adore baths. I had one a few weeks ago for probably the first time in one-and-a-half-years (don’t worry I do shower every day!) and it was absolute bliss. I totally forgot how luxurious and stress-busting baths can be. The next challenge I did to try and tackle now is finding the time to sit down with a good book and actually read it from start to finish!

7. Sinead says:

Ahhhhh this is a simple pleasure I have been missing so so much. We have had no boiler for 5 weeks : ( we now have a brand spanking new boiler fitted this week and I cannot wait for a soak! I have even booked in a time tomorrow night to make sure I get one as well! : ) Great post! xx

8. Wendy says:

– Yesterday was a wonderful day here too. I dug in the dirt and grneeadd all day, while the boys played outside. It was beautiful, sunny and clear. Family came for dinner and we ate on our porch, sipped good wine, had tons of laughs (even a little sing-a long) in a perfectly warm breeze.May 5, 2008 8:38 AM