My beautifully complicated girl

My six year old was the first of my brood to go back to school yesterday. She has quite literally been counting down the days until she returned, much to the annoyance of her big sister and brother I must add. She is at that wonderful age where learning is still fun and she is bursting with enthusiasm. It’s so lovely to see her so excited about school and long may it last.

But my lovely little girl is a natural born worrier. She doesn’t handle change, even the teeniest tiniest of changes, very well at all and she takes very gentle handling. This makes me worry about her in a way that I have never had to worry about her siblings before. Going back to school is exciting but it’s also a huge deal for her. I have been talking to her for weeks now about how there would be changes this year. I find that it’s all about finding that balance between a gently gently approach (so as not to worry her) whilst still giving her all the facts that she needs (to set things straight in her own little mind) We talked about her new classroom, new teacher, new peg, new tray. We also talked about how mummy wouldn’t be coming into the classroom anymore now that she was a big girl in Year 2 (when did she get so big?!)

As she skipped across the playground yesterday morning, swinging her new lunchbox and admiring her shiny new shoes, I must admit that I was worried sick. Worried that she would be okay. Worried that I had explained all of the changes quite enough. Of course I hid my worry under big cheery words of encouragement as I squeezed her hand tight. I asked her if maybe I could come in with her today, just to see her new classroom. I couldn’t just leave her at the door. Not on her first day. And she thought that was a good idea too. I helped her find her peg for her coat then we went inside. I held back and hovered in the background, knowing that I had to let her do it on her own. I saw her serious little face as she looked for her tray to put her fruit in. Then find the cupboard for her lunchbox. I was right there behind her to swoop in should she have a wobble. But she didn’t. She was big and brave just like I knew she could be. Or more to the point, how I hoped she would be.

As she sat down on the mat with her little whiteboard and pen to hand, eyes firmly fixed ahead on her new teacher, I bent down and kissed her on the cheek to say goodbye. She was fine. Just fine. Me, not so much. And of course I went home to spend the whole day worried sick about how she would get on.Β Home time couldn’t come soon enough and when I got there to pick her up from school, I managed to sneak a glimpse of her through the window and she had a big grin on her face as she was packing her things away. When the door opened and she came running out, she gave me a huge (and much needed) hug and told me all about her day in glorious and minute detail. When she asked me how many hours until she went back to school in the morning, I knew she was okay. My beautifully complicated girl was more than okay.

34 thoughts on “My beautifully complicated girl

1. Jen (@MmeJennifly) says:

My 6 year old is the same way and I’m experiencing exactly what you did, right now. It’s her first day of 1st grade and the first time on the school bus and first time going all day long. I’m SO worried about her and hoping things go okay for her. She’s very routine oriented and she had a hard time getting up this morning. But she was all smiles at the bus stop. I hope it lasts all day. πŸ™‚

2. sonyacisco says:

My son is very like that too, he goes back tomorrow into year 4 and is anxious about the new things- fortunately he normally settles after a day or two. I worry more for next year when he changes schools!

3. mumonahill says:

So glad your little girl enjoyed her first day at school. My 7yo is also a worrier. She hates even the
    Slightest change. Today, she started in the junior class. A big change for her. She cried when she went to bed last night, worrying about what it would be like. She cried all the way to school this morning & wouldn’t let go of me when I took her in. I worried all day, but when she came out of class she was full of smiles, she’d had a great time πŸ™‚

4. Hazel says:

My daughter is like that too. She can’t wait to get back to school, but she has been worrying about leaving her much loved teacher since Christmas!

5. Tina Robson says:

My 6yo small can be like this, we both talk together about how some new situations make us both anxious and how most other children are feeling the same. She’s looking forward to tomorrow now, the new uniform has just turned up.

Glad your beautiful girl had a great day and is ready for tomorrow.

I think talking things through (in our case over and over and OVER) really helps them to set things straight in their minds, doesn’t it? Hope your daughter has enjoyed going back to school too x

6. Middle-Aged Matron says:

She’s a courageous young lady. Kids are such worriers and so often concentrate their fears on tiny details. My 7yo dreaded the return to school today because he’d have a different space on the classroom floor during ‘carpet time’.

7. Mayfair Mum says:

What a lovely post. I’m doing some reassuring of my own to a slightly nervous 3yo who starts a new school nursery on Monday. Waiting for the settling in session on Friday which I hope will alleviate a lot of his worries – mostly around not knowing anything – what to do, where to go etc. Doesn’t help that they’ve had to relocate the nursery for his year so are still putting it all together – can’t even remind him of where he’s been to visit as he won’t be going there anymore. Ah! I’m sure we’ll have it all again next year when he starts Reception, which is back on site at the main school.

• Mayfair Mum says:

Thanks! His first day was a dream come true. He woke up this morning saying he was excited to be going back and couldn’t wait to try the after school club (having paid them a visit yesterday). Not so sure he’ll be this keen next week though…!

8. TheMadHouse says:

What a beautiful post. It really made me think back to how Mini was when he started Reception. This year he ran in to class. Long may she be your beautiful complicated girl

9. Mummy's on the wine says:

Oh oh I got all teary reading that! So glad she was ok, and you! It’s a big week for lots of us, my youngest starts school tomorrow and I cannot think about it without getting a knot in my stonach, tissues all round I think!

Argh! I know that feeling all too well! My youngest starts school next week and I keep bursting into tears at the thought of it – like I have with every one of mine. You’d think I’d be better at this fourth time around, wouldn’t you? πŸ˜‰