Thirtysomething seeks new magazine to love

I thought I had found my perfect magazine. Finally a magazine that really spoke to me as a thirtysomething. That perfect balance of fashion and lifestyle with meaty features that I actually wanted to read not just roll my eyes at and turn the page. Intelligent interviews with people who I had actually heard of and clothes that I wanted to wear. Places that I would dream of escaping to and food that I would drool over and maybe even get around to cooking one day. And for a time I finally found all of that and more in Red magazine. So much so that I treated myself to a monthly subscription earlier in the year.

I had long since grown bored of so many magazines. It’s surprising how many magazines just don’t appeal to women of my age. I have no interest in reading back to back celebrity gossip especially when I don’t even know who the celebrities are. Far too many people seem to be famous just for being famous these days and that really doesn’t interest me in the slightest. Nor do silly quizzes on how to tell when he really fancies you and other such drivel. It’s a long time since I’ve felt the need to scrutinise a beau’s every word and or zodiac sign. In fact, I’m not sure I ever did. And don’t even get me started on the pages and pages of life changing diets. It’s bad enough being bored to tears by friends who have been on a diet for the twenty years that I have known them, I don’t want to read about the latest fad that I can already tell you won’t work. Yawn. I’m just too old and grumpy for all that crap.

Red Magazine (Mostly) Yummy Mummy BlogBut I would look forward to Red thudding on to the doormat each month. I used to set aside an afternoon to devour it cover to cover in one sitting. Easily pleased I know, butΒ boy did it feel like a treat. In the last few months though, it seems to have gone seriously off the boil. Is it a coincidence that it was around the same time that Sam Baker left as editor? I don’t think so unfortunately. It just feels like it has completely lost its way. It just doesn’t draw me in any more. I now realise what an amazing job Sam Baker was doing and actually, she clearly made Red what it once was. And going by the conversations that I’ve had on Instagram and Twitter over the weekend, I know I’m not the only one to feel the same. There are so many disappointed readers out there that I know it’s not just me picking fault. Sigh.

You can imagine my disappointment when this months issue was delivered. Red has been Goop’d. Goop’d. Poop’d. Tomato. Tomato. Just the sight of Gwyneth Paltrow makes me want to scoop my eyeballs out with rusty teaspoons which I know is probably a slightly irrational reaction but it’s like Red couldn’t have got it – me – more wrong. Our love affair is well and truly over. So I now (annoyingly) find myself back on a mission to find a new magazine to love. Answers on a postcard please. Or better still, the comment box.

mostly yummy mummy blog

43 thoughts on “Thirtysomething seeks new magazine to love

1. LinsDCB says:

Have you tried women’s health? Not as boring as it sounds – there’s not a huge amount of fashion in there but all the rest of the ingredients. Pick one up and see what you think, it’s not for everybody but I find it really readable (and I’m a 30-something too!)

2. kbmanc says:

I fell out of love with women’s magazines a while ago. Like you, I can’t be bothered with all the celebrity gossip and stupid articles. I occasionally buy Glamour (free Nails Inc nail polish this month) but I flick through it and pass it on to my teens.
    My new magazine love is the interiors one Ideal Homes. I love reading all the articles on how people have redesigned their homes. I’ve been searching for new sofas and found the perfect ones in the magazine. They always have some lovely recipes too! Maybe change direction and give it a try?

3. EssieRae says:

I totally agree! Red used to be my fave mag but I’ve fallen out of love with it too. I think it definitely has taken the wrong direction with the new editor onboard. Hopefully there will be something out their to replace it x

I can’t believe how much it changed overnight. It feels like they are trying to please *everyone* rather than what was their target audience. They seem to have got it terribly wrong 😦

4. Aimee Horton says:

The only magazine I can read cover to cover is Good Food, and even that has got samey. I do LOVE a bit of sneaky Glamour or In Style from time to time, but what gets me, especially with Glamour is they seem to have ditched the more budget friendly clothes and think “affordable” are shoes that are in the Β£200 arena!

Anyway, let me know if you find out!

5. Midlife Singlemum says:

I’m with kbnamc above – I used to love Oprah, She, Marie Claire…. But now I only like Ideal Home. I think magazines have had their day tbh as you can always find something to read on the internet. Stumbled Upon and a list of bookmarked sites, and the blogs of course, can keep me busy all weekend if necessary. I find with women’s magazines that I seem to have read it all before – it’s just the same stuff going round and round again.

6. Cat Yaffe says:

Interesting post! As a returning freelance writer to the women’s lifestyle market I have to say I was pretty surprised with the change in the magazine market. I’m a features writer and love nothing more than writing (& reading) good, high quality, original in depth features that tackle real issues both home and abroad. Where have they gone? Coincidentally tonight I am at a Hearst Editor Talk where Red, Cosmo, Company & Zest editors will all be on a panel. I’ll ask the questions and report back!

Clearly the demand from readers for real features is still there so it’s such a shame that the magazines can’t see this? Hope you had a good time at the Hearst Editor Talk I would have liked to have come along but I heard about it too late to arrange to get down to London.

7. 3yearsandhome says:

Yes! I’ve been a subscriber to Red for a few years, even paying to have it sent to Switzerland, but I let it lapse in September. Do let me know if you find a worthy replacement. I’m yet to come across another.

8. Zoe says:

I agree! I now read Zest occasionally but not every month, but that’s it. I still want to sit and read a magazine like I used to but haven’t found the one for me. Let me know what you find!

9. susankmann says:

I’m not a big magazine reader, now and again I’ll pick one up, but tend to read Writer magazines. Sorry not much help here. Hope you find a new love twinny x

10. PhotoPuddle says:

I will be interested to hear what you find as a replacement. I do like reading magazines but there doesn’t seem to be one out there that really suits who I am at the moment. I’ve also been a bit disappointed in Red. Quite like Marie Claire sometimes and have even bought (and enjoyed) a couple of issues of Good Housekeeping recently. Does that make me sound really old? I like Simple Things too but there’s nothing fashion or celebrity in there and I do like fashion and a bit of celeb gossip.

No I quite like Marie Claire too but not quite enough to buy it every month if that makes sense? It’s funny because you’re not the only one to suggest Good Housekeeping so maybe I should give it a go πŸ˜€

11. Catt says:

I really enjoy Stylist which I pick up at the tube station weekly. Not sure if they distribute in your area..

12. Elizabeth says:

I kind of agree. I hate their new fonts. The fashion is outrageously expensive. It’s, as you say, off the boil. Weirdly I’ve read a few issues of essentials and really liked it!

13. Alice says:

Easy Living is def worth a try or Grazia, although the weekly read is quite hard to keep up with whe you’re busy!

I used to subscribe to Grazia and must admit that I did struggle to keep up with a weekly magazine. I still buy the odd one but it is a bit gossipy for me these days it seems to be turning into Heat!

14. HonestMum says:

So funny you should blog this as for the last few months and after Sam left I stopped my subscription. Sam was one inspirational woman, I was lucky to meet her and feature in the magazine for my film work when I was a finalist at the Red Hot Women Awards-she championed women through that magazine, oversaw engaging, vital content and now I agree, it doesn’t speak to me at all! I do love Elle and a recent revamp has made it better than ever and Vanity Fair has taken over my Red subscription!

15. Gillian says:

I’m going to be so sad if things don’t improve, I’ve been with red since the very beginning and until now it’s been outstanding. Watched the demise of easy living with horror and can’t believe there’s a chance red will follow suit
    I’ve started buying psychologies now and again and it’s a good read but doesn’t have the variety red had

16. Haley Hill says:

Glad to hear it’s not just me. I met the new editor last night. She seems lovely but far from someone I could relate too. She described the ‘Red’ woman as (I paraphrase) an aspirational Gwyneth wannabe. I’d rather read Cosmo and that’s saying something…

• metropolitanmum says:

My husband bought a Cosmo for me the other day to cheer me up. It didn’t. It’s tacky and I really don’t want to read about The 10 Best Sex positions. Read about it 10 times 10 years ago, and no, there’s nothing new to be said. Mhm… Gwyneth wannabe… I relly do like Gwyneth Paltrow but I wouldn’t want to be her. I’d love a magazine that caters for readers who just want to themselves. That’s hard enough, isn’t it?
        Dxx

17. Cali says:

I’m late to the party here but as a magazine connoisseur of many years I thought I should put my penny’s worth in. I’m a Red subscriber and you’re right, it’s isn’t as good as it was, definitely used to be my favourite. Women & Home is very good, fashion is too expensive but otherwise lots of great articles and much less fusty than you might think. Good Housekeeping too, although a little more cooking/homemaking focused. I love Psychologies and kinda like the fact that it doesn’t have fashion or (much) beauty, it definitely makes you think. I tried Grazia but for me it was too ‘fashion’ and the almost Daily Mail-esque attitude to judging women & gossip really bugged me. Easy Living folded earlier this year and this month (January) is the last issue of Zest. I only buy Glamour if there’s a good free gift, the content is far too young for me! Lastly Top Sante is good too, more health/wellbeing focused but it does that well. Still subscribe to Marie Claire, some great articles, the fashion is meh for me but I like the shock factor they still have.