The one with the not so fatty bum bum

As I dig out last years summer clothes, it’s such a good feeling to find that they no longer bulge at the seams. It’s nice to think that if I were buying them now, I would even try my luck with a smaller size. If only I was in a position to be buying a whole new wardrobe. No chance of that unfortunately. I’m just thankful that my refusal to believe that I really was that size meant that I was buying clothes that were at least one size too small for me at the time otherwise I would have nothing to wear now. As it is, I’m just passing my old dresses off as being meant to be slouchy. That’s a thing, right? Well I don’t have much choice so it will have to be!

(Mostly) Yummy Mummy BlogThe dress I pulled out today, I wore at Cybher last June. I bought it at the very last minute and threw it in my suitcase without much thought. It ticked all my boxes of basically being a big black jersey sack. It would do just fine. I realise now that I had become really quite good at disguising how fat I was getting. I remember getting dressed on the morning of Cybher and feeling like a bag of spanners. Lumps and bumps everywhere. The belt emphasising just how podgy my belly was not to mention my big fat derriere. But I was actually quite good at not giving a stuff too. Not a bad trait to have to be fair. Although somewhere at the back of my mind I must have given a tiny stuff as I thought ahead to that weeks What I Wore Wednesday blog post and contorted myself in the tiny hotel mirror to try to take a photo at the best possible angle in what was the worst possible artificial lighting.

That’s actually one of the annoying things about where I am now. I’m not quite there yet but with 21lbs and over 18 inches lost, I’m well on my way. But I have no real dramatic before and after pictures to show for it. I can’t resist scrolling back toΒ find photos of me wearing the same outfits last year to compare. Vain, much? But there are hardly any unflattering photos to be found. It seems that I was really very good at the whole contorting myself in the mirror thing before expertly cropping out the lumpiest bits. Life through an Instagram tinted lens, huh? If only I had put the same effort into actually doing something about fighting the bulge earlier instead of hiding it. It wasn’t until October that I finally thought enough was enough (and of course it goes without saying that I haven’t looked back since!) Slowly but surely, I’m getting there.

So no, I might not have any dramatic before and after photos but I tell you something, I feel amazing. The best I have in years. But you’ll just have to take my word for it. No amount of contorting in a mirror can show you that I’m afraid.

(Mostly) Yummy Mummy Blog

11 thoughts on “The one with the not so fatty bum bum

1. Karen Jones says:

You have always looked wonderful to me, but I have to say this is a pretty amazing weight loss ! Congratulations lovely Sarah, you have inspired me to pull my finger out. I took for granted always being skinny but now I am a very uncomfortable size 14 I really need to do something about it xx

2. booandmaddie says:

What a great feeling and inspiring read! Ive been there too, a former big girl slim from 13 stone and a size 16 down to a size 10. I was very unhealthy in my early 20s and knew I’d love to lose it but always blaming something and hid it well. Gradually over time it came off and its been about 7 years now that ive kept it off. Never going back there but I know exactly how you feel about that jumping for joy X

3. sarahsscribbles says:

What an amazing achievement lady, sometimes you don’t need a big unveil of ‘befote and after’ pics to know you’ve done good. Addressing the situation and doing something about it is the biggest achievement. Being on honeymoon as I type And covering up my bikini clad body in yet another sarong has made me realize I need to wake and smell the coffee beans and do something About the weight gain for health and confidence. I am exactly the same in the fact I really am quite good at hiding the gain: I NEVER GO OUT! Thanks for making me realize I need a kick start to feel good about me once again. X

4. Rachel - 3yearsandhome says:

This is so great hear. You’ve done so amazingly well. I’m in your ‘before’ stage right now and I really don’t like it. But not enough to get off my bum and do something about it just yet. There are a couple of things stopping me but they should be fixed by the end of the year so I hope I can be in the same position as you come next Summer. Well done, lovely lady x

5. mummyofboygirltwins says:

Wow. Amazing weight loss, am really glad you feel better for it too. That’s the main thing, as long as you feel happy.

6. @HelenW71 says:

You may not think you have wow before & after photos but actually you do. You are (natch) gorgeous in them all, but your fave looks completely different. Clothes are hanging on you differently – you look like a super slinky model in this shot. I think it’s natural for all of us to want others to see us in the most flattering light (filter?), it’s human nature, but sometimes regardless of that it’s easy to tell who FEELS good, rather than looks good. And that, whether you’re a size 20 or a 10, is the key to looking amazing. Hxx