The one where I turn into a diet bore. Sorry. Not sorry.

Note to self: you can actually lose weight without telling the world about it. Who knew? As much as I enjoy reading about other people’s weight loss journeys (and I really do) I’m not about to become a diet bore and write about it all the time here. So don’t worry, I’m not about to make a regular habit of this.

I have lost 25lbs in about 9 months now and no, there is no secret to my weight loss. I have dropped the pounds and a whopping overall 19.5 inches very slowly and just by eating (an awful lot) less and moving (an awful lot) more. There have been many weeks where I haven’t lost a single pound and when you hit a plateau, I guess it is easy to become disheartened. But actually the fact that I just keep on plodding on goes to show that for me, this whole diet thing isn’t about a quick fix (far from it in fact) but about changing my lifestyle habits forever.

Diet bore (Mostly) Yummy Mummy BlogIt’s hard to do the whole losing weight thing without numbers coming into play. I used to kid myself that it didn’t matter what the scales said which saw me balloon up to almost 12 stone *weeps* Back in October when I started out on my mission to lose weight, I didn’t know how I ever gained that much weight, although many of my Timehop photos are making it much clearer it has to be said. Macaron for breakfast anyone? But I had no idea how I would ever lose it all so to be honest, when I set myself a goal to try to weigh less than 10 stone it was all a bit pie in the sky. I didn’t imagine that I would ever get there. Now that I have, although the numbers might not matter as much, feeling this good definitely does so why on earth would I stop? I can hand on heart say that I will never go back to my fatty bum bum days. I honestly didn’t realise just how bad I used to feel until I started to feel so good.

When you’re doing the low calorie thing like I am, you want to make every calorie count and as much as I don’t deny myself treats, I just don’t treat myself as often as I once did which means that actually, I enjoy them all the more. I know, I know *polishes halo* But in general, I’m just much more mindful about what I eat now and I’ve never eaten so well. The zero anything approach to dieting would never work for me, not long-term anyway. I just try to eat clean where possible and I’ve definitely cut out lots of the stodge that I once lived on. Just simple things like swapping pasta with roast courgette, white rice for sweet potatoes and asparagus with my poached eggs instead of a doorstep of white bloomer (although I do still have the odd doorstep of bread, I’m not a complete saint)

Diet bore (Mostly) Yummy Mummy BlogBut the days when I would see how many chocolate hobnobs I could eat while waiting for the Nespresso machine to make my third latte of the day (four at a push in case you were wondering) are long gone. Of course I knew at the time that it wasn’t the best of ideas but I became really rather good at convincing myself that it wasn’t that bad. My head is in such a different place now it’s not true. And actually I guess that for me has been the real secret to losing this weight and more importantly, keeping it off. It’s all up there *taps noggin*

So yes, I am still a calorie counting bore and yes, I’m hoping to lose a few more pounds if I can but despite all of that, I don’t see this as being a diet anymore. In fact, I haven’t for a long time. I’ve changed my eating habits forever and I even look forward to squeezing exercise into my day. In fact I get twitchy on days that I can’t fit in a workout I love it that much. Yes really. I just want to carry on feeling this well for well, forever.

(Mostly) Yummy Mummy Blog

14 thoughts on “The one where I turn into a diet bore. Sorry. Not sorry.

1. kbmanc says:

Yay! Well done you πŸ™‚ As you know I’ve been quietly plodding along with my weightloss too and have been hovering around my target for a few weeks now. Last night I had a huge wardrobe clear out and have 5 bin bags full of mine and Paul’s to go to the charity shop. Just controlling my fat and sugar intake, eating regularly and making sensible choices means that I’ve dropped that dress size and 3 whole cup sizes! I have gained an empty wardrobe though so I’m looking forward to some autumn shopping πŸ™‚

2. Katie @mummydaddyme says:

Well done you- that’s amazing. I have been the same, since January I have been running and watching what I eat (although this month I have been dreadful!) but I agree it’s a change of lifestyle. I still treat myself but I can’t begin to tell you how much it’s changed my life and I don’t want to go back to the way I was either. x

It’s fab when it just clicks, isn’t it? I think as well that at this time of year with holidays and the like, it’s easy to fall off plan a little but actually the fact that you realise that is a good thing because you can make up for it and soon get back on track πŸ™‚

3. Susan Mann says:

I’m actually crying at this post. Crying as I’m so happy for you & that’s amazing. But realising I need to do this. I need to learn to make these changes. I hope I can do it. Well done twinny x

4. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely says:

This is completely inspirational. My current diet habits are the same as yours once were but I woke up on Monday and thought enough’s enough … time to change. I hate it when clothes I love don’t feel comfortable and I know that a lot of people diet for summer but autumn is my season to want to lose weight for. I love autumn. So I’m cutting out the rubbish during the week and just having a treat at the weekend, and also pounding the pavements too. I’m really excited about which I guess means it’s the right time.

Good for you! I love how it can be a positive step and the fact that you are so looking forward to it sounds like it’s just the right time for you too. I really do think that is the hardest bit and you’ve cracked it πŸ™‚

5. Krista (@godders45) says:

Well done. Just goes to show you don’t need a diet as such, just a bit less on the plate maybe. My problem is nibbling – all day at times. Studying/working at home is a nightmare for me being seated and in front of the PC all day (says she seated in front of the PC this evening…argh!). I joined Slimming World and managed to waste (or is that ‘waist’) Β£60 on 3 months online membership and guess what…yep, I’ve only weighed myself once as I know I’ve put on those 5lbs in the last couple of weeks *sob* I think I’ll give your idea a go. Thanks for the inspiration. Your new photos are looking lovely (not that you didn’t look great before I hasten to add) πŸ™‚

It’s really surprising how the calories stack up with a snack here, a snack there and it’s so hard to resist when you’re at home of course! Portion sizes has been a huge part of it for me and swapping stodge for more healthier options. It’s amazing how quickly you get used to it when you make it a lifestyle thing instead of a diet. Just the word diet makes me feel hungry! Good luck!