Happy New Phone Day! Or maybe not..

It should be Happy New Phone Day for me today. My contract is just coming to an end and oh look, the brand new iPhone 6 has been released, isn’t that just perfect timing? Well usually it would be. And to be honest I thought it would be right up until we actually got a sneaky peek of the new Apple beast. And man alive is it a beast.

You see, I’m old enough to remember when the screen on a phone was bearly big enough to contain a phone number. Heck, I’m old enough to remember life before mobile phones. But this beast of a new iPhone is huge. I mean colossal. And that’s the small iPhone 6 version not even the comedy sized iPhone 6 Plus. Is it all singing and dancing? Faster and whizzier? Bells and whistles? I don’t know. I just can’t get over the size of the bloody thing to care enough to find out.

Happy New Phone Day (Mostly) Yummy Mummy BlogI have an iPhone 5 now and that is a big phone. Possibly a bit too big as it is. My thumb can only just reach from corner to corner of the screen (first world problems here I know but bear with me) But I swear that is only because my thumb has stretched through overuse over the last two years. A bigger screen will make is almost impossible for me to use one handed and I already have visions of how cumbersome it will be. It’s just not going to be very mobile, is it? Dropped phone here we come. Oh joy.

I can only deduce that the iPhone 6 has been designed by boys for boys. Erm hello, bigger isn’t always better you know! Not when it comes to phones anyway. In fact, especially when it comes to phones. Of course boys are lucky enough to be blessed with big pockets unlike us girls who are lucky if our clothes even have a pocket never mind one big enough to house a bloody iPhone 6! What’s the point of a phone that you can’t fit in your pocket? I might as well strap my iPad to my person and be had done with it. Or even my iPad Mini. Did I mention that I was an iSheep? Because I am. I really really am. I was first bitten by the Apple bug about four years ago (late to the party as ever) but honestly could never consider anything but an iPhone. Anything else just seems like a cheap imitation. Sigh.

So now what? Well I’ll sulk a bit about not wanting a new phone that I don’t actually need. Then I’ll carry on using my perfectly fine iPhone 5 until one day it goes caput and I’m forced to upgrade. The iPhone 6 will arrive and I’ll hate it. But within the week, I’ll be completely won over and extol the virtues of this amazing big screen and laugh about that silly blog post I wrote saying that I don’t want a phone the size of my head. Like I said, complete iSheep. Baa.

Is it happy new phone day for you today?

(Mostly) Yummy Mummy Blog

15 thoughts on “Happy New Phone Day! Or maybe not..

1. bushra says:

oh yikes, i’m thinking exactly the same thoughts! i’m not due for an upgrade or anything, i broke free of the chains of contracts a few years ago. i have a 5s and i really can’t see myself using anything but an iPhone. that said, i’m happy with the one i’ve had for less than a year and will only refresh it when it is dying. so yeah, maybe a 7 or 8 then ;P

2. Cat says:

I’m very new to the apple party, having just been given an iPad mini for my birthday! I have wanted one for a long time though and I’m already looking forward to getting an iPhone when my contract expires (in a year, sob!) The 5 does look like the perfect size though – I like my screens slightly larger but not stupidly so!

I actually excitedly blogged about my iPad a few posts’ back and would love to know if you have any apps that you’d particularly recommend!

3. Susan Mann says:

Until I read this, I hadn’t thought about it until now. I wasn’t planning on upgrading this time, I usually wait until the next one comes out. I’ve not really looked at this one, usually excited and want it, but not so this time x

4. mousedogbaby says:

My fella got the iphone6 yesterday. I’m going to walk around shouting ‘HELLO??’ and holding my iPad to my ear. Just to take the mickey a bit. It’s ENORMOUS!

5. Tammy says:

i got the iPhone 6 yesterday because my contact was due an upgrade I had the 4s and I already love my 6. It is bigger but not stupidly so, and it fits in the pocket of my jeans. I hope if you get one you love it too

Ahh so it does fit in your jeans then? Interesting! I just know that I struggle to fit my 5 into most of my pockets already. Maybe I should use it as an excuse to buy my new phone its own handbag? πŸ˜‰

6. Tamsin says:

Greetings fellow isheep. I actually think I have RSI in my thumb through too much internet shopping on my phone. I’m also due an upgrade soon but not sure whether to get the 6 or not. Obviously I will because it’s new and shiny and desirable but I might think about it for at least a few miliseconds longer than normal.