Twenty two years ago today, I went on a blind date set up by a friend. It was a dreary Thursday lunchtime, my on-again-off-again boyfriend at the time was off again (but this time for good) and I had nothing better to do so thought it would be a laugh. I had never been on a blind date before although technically, I’m not sure if you could call it a blind date. I had never seen him but he had seen me, albeit at a distance.
He used to work with my friend and had met her for lunch and spotted me across a busy road as he walked her back to the office. He asked her if she knew who I was and she did (of course) and fixed us up on a lunch date within the week if I remember rightly. The details didn’t seem so important back then but that was just about the size of it. And the rest as they say, is history. Who would ever have thought that this little story would go on to be legend some twenty two years later?
On this our twenty second anniversary, I thought I would try and come up with twenty two things that I love about that man. To be fair, if you had caught me on the wrong day, this could easily have been a post listing twenty two things that make me want to strangle that man. I’m sure my archives will back me up here when I say that no relationship can be all hearts and roses all of the time. This is real life folks. And when you are in it for the long haul like we are, there are good times and sometimes bad (but mostly good, it has to be said!)
So in no particular order, here are twenty two things that I love about Mr Mostly:
- He buys me a candle whenever he passes Yankee Candle in York. Despite the fact that he really doesn’t understand the whole candle thing you are literally burning money woman and he always picks out a new one every time.
- He curls up with me every Sunday and lets me watch Poldark even though he hates it. Aiden Turner and rugged Cornwall coastlines just don’t do a thing for him.
- He always enjoys his hobbies with great passion. Whether that is walking up big hills or carving wood, he never does any hobby by halves.
- He pretends to like my rubbish packed lunches. Even when he accidentally gets a banana with a dinosaur on that was meant for the kids.
- He still squirms about something that he said on our first date (but the truth is it never felt like a blooper to me at the time, but he thinks I only say that to make him feel better)
- He hoovers like he mows the lawn, in straight lines.
- He has the most awful taste in music. So bad that I have learnt to laugh at it rather than be driven mad by it.
- He sends me ridiculous text messages all day long (that I love and never fail to reply to)
- He almost never buys me flowers but he does buy me meringues as big as my head from the deli.
- He has a way of knowing when a dress needs fastening at the back. I don’t even have to ask him, I just move my hair to the side and there he is.
- He never ever questions me when I disappear in the evening for an hour (or two) to soak in the bath. No matter how feral the children are.
- He took me to Bettys as a treat and ended up loving it just as much as me and for a while became borderline obsessed with the merits of loose leaf tea.
- He loves Lush more than a teenage girl. Seriously. He spends so long in there that the smell makes me want to pass out and the whole time, he pretends in a very loud voice that we are shopping for me oh look here’s the pink flamingo bubble bar you love so much. And that beard conditioner.
- He gets hotter with age (but maybe that is linked to his Lush addiction above?)
- He always seeks out my hand to hold after all these years.
- He appears from nowhere at the kitchen window almost every night and never fails to make me jump out of my skin. Much to his amusement.
- He really does keep me on my toes (and not just because of the kitchen window thing!)
- He shares my love of dirty burgers and doesn’t even care if I get mustard on my forehead while eating one.
- He has a real eye for hunting out the best royal memorabilia for me from junk stores and antique stalls.
- He drinks mint tea with me after dinner every night to aid digestion despite him thinking that it tastes like dishwater.
- He loves to experiment in the kitchen and when I say experiment I mean really experiment but sometimes, just sometimes, it is almost edible.
- He tells me he loves me a hundred times a day. Okay, well maybe ten. But he means it every single time.
Writing this made me realise that I could easily have written twenty two more reasons why I love him but maybe I’ll save that list for him and spare you? Ha! But I saw a quote on Pinterest the other day (as you do) that really rung true (as they do) and it said something along the lines of I swear I couldn’t love you more than I do right now, and yet I know I will tomorrow. And that’s where we are right now. Twenty two years together and still ridiculously in love. I’ll never know how I got so lucky. Happy anniversary Mr Mostly.